- 30 Jan 2023
- 4 Minutes To Read
Data Management Overview
- Updated On 30 Jan 2023
- 4 Minutes To Read
This section describes how to import and extract existing data into and out of Mambu.
The main steps for importing data into Mambu are:
- Carry out the required preliminary steps described in Prerequisites below.
- Plan and schedule your migration. For an API-based migration, contact your onboarding consultant for planning assistance.
- Extract the data from your legacy system.
- Prepare your data for submission to Mambu.
- Submit your data to Mambu using one or both of these methods:
- Via the Mambu APIs (recommended)
- Using a provided Excel template
- Mambu automatically validates your submission.
- Review your submission, and make any necessary corrections.
- Confirm your import to complete the migration.
All of these steps are described further below.
We recommend using the Mambu API, or using the API in addition to using the Excel-based import. Migration with our Excel template does not support some common cases, including:
- Importing Dynamic Loan Schedules or Revolving Credit Loans.
- Specifying a penalty rate per account at import.
- Importing deposit accounts with different interest rates - all deposit accounts imported with Excel sheets use the Deposit Product default interest rate.
- Importing Deposit Transactions, only the current balance.
Despite these limitations, there are cases where it is better or easier to import data via Excel, such as when your old systems export data in a CSV file. Many of the limitations with the Excel method can be addressed using our APIs after the initial import. If, on the other hand, you will be retrieving data from your legacy system using an API, it is usually easier to migrate via API.
Generally speaking, you are responsible for preparing your data for import, but we do provide some assistance. When importing via Excel, we provide a template sheet and detailed instructions for how to enter data.
If you are planning to migrate via API, please contact your onboarding consultant to request support. They can work with you to help determine the best strategy and APIs to use, depending on your needs. For more information on how to contact your onboarding consultant, see Importing your Data via API - What We'll Need from You.
Be sure to plan your migration carefully. Based on the amount of legacy data you have, it can take time. If your organization is already live, we strongly recommend planning to reduce the risk of any performance impact, such as scheduling migration after business hours when possible.
No migration process is risk-free, so be sure that all of your data is appropriately backed up during the process.
The following steps are required before beginning migration.
In order to migrate data into Mambu, the following setup steps must be completed. These steps ensure that the necessary structure is in place for your data to be imported into our systems.
- Create Mambu users and assign them the appropriate permissions to access Mambu.
- Add your organization's branches.
- Add any custom fields that you want to include in the forms.
- Add the products (loans and deposits) you offer.
Completing this setup in advance allows us to assign all imported clients and groups to the appropriate branches and credit officers, to fill all necessary custom fields, and to assign all accounts to the appropriate products.
For more instructions on importing data into Mambu, see the remaining pages of this section.
Mambu offers a few options for extracting data:
- Database backup
- Mambu - Stitch ETL integration
- Streaming API
Mambu users may download their entire data set at any time by performing a database dump using either the Mambu UI or Mambu API.
For large databases, we strongly recommend using the API instead of the Mambu UI. You may experience technical issues exporting data using the Mambu UI for large data sets, such as receiving a
504 Gateway Timeout status code.
Performing a database backup with the Mambu UI
To perform a database backup with the Mambu UI:
- Ensure that Data Export is enabled for your tenant by checking the feature list in the Administration menu.
- Go to Administration > Data.
- Select Export Your Data.
- Select Download Database.
To see the process in action, check out our demo video, below.
The export process will take some time depending on the size of your data set. You will receive a notification when the process is complete so you can safely navigate away from the page and carry on with your work while the backup is generated.
Performing a database backup with the API
Mambu - Stitch ETL integration
The Mambu - Stitch ETL (extract, transform, load) integration allows you to move data from Mambu into your data warehouse or data lake. For more information, see Stitch connector on our Ecosystem site.
The Streaming API is a system to system communication tool that uses a pull-based communication strategy to allow you to stream large amounts of data out of Mambu. For more information, see Streaming API in our User Guide and the Streaming API Reference.